Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Organ Donation, Yes!

I have just been reading an article in the July 27 issue of The New Yorker called "The Kindest Cut." (You can't tell me you read it all in a timely fuckin' fashion!) It's about stranger-to-stranger kidney donation. And I'm FURIOUS! Por que? Well, a huge part of the article centers on people who openly discourage and are hostile toward people who show willingness to donate their organs to strangers. Aaaaagh!
I can understand someone not wanting a close family member/"loved one" to donate, cause, you know, it's risky. Not super-risky-- they're doing a lot of these operations laparoscopically nowadays-- but it is major surgery, of course, and what if you need it someday, or... But discouraging someone you don't love from donating? This really pisses me off.
If those people had ANY idea of how bad the need is for organs, they'd be supportive. Or maybe they wouldn't; maybe they're just assholes. I understand it's a complicated issue, but if an adult "of sound mind" decides to donate, people shouldn't treat them like there's something wrong with them! Grr...
I can't explain here all the ins and outs of this... you should just try to find the article and read it if you're interested.
And...


Click here to get more info on how to become an organ donor.

No comments:

Post a Comment