Thursday, September 20, 2012

A Cool Gift

G: This is for you! [hands J a blobby, smushy, indeterminate thing, maybe like some scrap cloth partly coated in paint]

[Pause. J looks intently at the thing.]

J: What is it?

G: Dude! It's a face!

J: Hmm.

G: Don't you like it?

J: Sure. I just never would have guessed that that's what it was. I mean, I didn't know you could get... one of these as a... gift.

G: So it's awesome, am I right?!

J: Yeeeeah... [turns the thing over and over, trying to understand it.  finally seems to sort of recognize it for what it's supposed to be and stops turning it.] Oh, I see. Hmm. Yeah. Ok. Is that how it's supposed to go?

G: Yeah!

J: It looks kind of sad.

G: Yah, it's a DEPRESSED face! Pretty cool, right?

J: Yeah...  actually. Yeah, you're right. It IS cool. I think I'm beginning to understand now.

G: Yeah, alright!  I knew you'd be into it 'cause you're cool.

J: You think I'm cool?

G:  Dude!

J: Wow. Ok. I'll accept that. I am Cool.

G: You are cool.

J: Thank you. It means a lot.

G: Sure, babe. Dude.

J: So should I put it on?

G: The face? Dude, yeah!

[J puts the thing on his/her face. It looks nothing like a face. It looks like a dirty rag or other piece of limp garbage.]

J: So-- what do you think?

G: That is... SO cool.

J: Right on. [They high five. Then both turn serious.]

G: Now let's go do something else for the rest of our lives.

J: Ok.

THE END


----
[See the site of National Sketch Writing Month for the meaning of all this.] 

No comments:

Post a Comment