Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Jack & Mary & The Men's Room

[The setting: the hallway in the back part of a restaurant, where we see one door marked "Ladies" and one marked "Men". Two women walk out of the men's room, smiling and generally acting like they just got off a roller coaster.]

Woman 1: That was awesome! How was it for you?


[Woman 2 doesn't speak, but laughs in a doofy way as they both exit down the hall. Next, a serious woman, MARY, enters from Ladies room, followed immediately by a serious man, Jack. Neither is smiling.]


JACK: I'm sorry, honey! I'm sorry! How many times do I have to say I'm sorry?


MARY: Let's never talk about this to anyone.


JACK: Mary, you can't be serious! I'm sorry!


MARY: I don't care how sorry you say you are, Jack. This just isn't working anymore.


JACK: It's not true! There are other things we can try! Weren't you just saying the other day you were going to try--


[MARY flashes JACK a deadly glower.]


MARY: You just don't get it, Jack.


JACK [quieter, more contrite now]: I'm so sorry. I love you. I don't want to give up. There has to be something else we can try.


[Just then, another couple, MAN 2 and WOMAN 4, come out of the men's room, giggling and with their arms around each other, looking very affectionate and happy. This does not escape the notice of JACK and MARY, who watch the gigglers walk off down the hall. JACK and MARY look at each other again.]


JACK: Well?


[Pause.]


MARY: OK.


[They start to go into the men's room. MARY starts to go in first. JACK starts to follow her. She pushes him back gently with her hand.]


MARY: Wait. There's something I need to do first. Alone.


[She goes in. JACK waits outside.]


    THE END


----
[See the site of National Sketch Writing Month for the meaning of all this.] 

No comments:

Post a Comment